[Mageia-marketing] Mageia product naming/scoping

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 16:24:53 CET 2011

Hi Patricia (re-cc'ing the list),

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 22:46, Patricia Fraser <trish at thefrasers.org> wrote:
> We maybe don't need the website right this minute, but we need all
> the time between now and release day for Mageia 1, to put things in
> place - so it makes sense to talk about it now and plan for it.

Yes of course.

> Okay - understood. Then, maybe, we name it according to the kind of
> installation rather than something confusing, and we have a way for
> a new user - I'm thinking new-to-Linux as much as new-to-Mageia - to
> discover a) what each of them means *and* b) which of them will suit
> this user at the moment. A "what does each one do" set of information
> and a "which one do I want" set of information.

Yes. Simple.

So that would make:
 * Mageia 1 DVD (32 or 64bit)
 * Mageia 1 dual arch CD
 * Mageia 1 netinstall CD
 * Mageia 1 LiveCD (32, 64bit, locale specific)
 * Mageia 1 Mobile (for an equivalent to Flash)

that we can explain in a download/selection page depending on the
intended uses, with a set of default download made available in one
click (typically, that could be the 32bit LiveCD or dualarch CD).

> It would be good to name Mageia releases/iterations/flavours in a
> way that says to the newcomer: "this is for you! We hope you like it!"
> and even "if you like it, maybe you'll join us?"

Definitely yes. That could be "platform"; although, speaking of
"Mageia platform" may refer to the project itself, the infrastructure,
or the end-product-distribution. Hence maybe the need to consider a
product-focused" name in the future, distinct from "Mageia" (that
would be the project's name).

>> Yes! To find the right balance, and delivering it as a useful,
>> clear, to the point doc, still attractive and welcoming. We can do
>> it. We can do it. There's a lot to learn from Rails and similar
>> modern web dev tools online documentation that is far ahead.
>
> Documentation is often the poor relation, but it's the place where
> makers talk to users; it's the place where we can be the most
> welcoming - like a gateway into the community. Worth doing.

Totally agree. I would hope that we get to the point of having
something like http://developer.mozilla.org/ equivalent for the
developer/technical contributor side and st equivalent for
users/newcomers.

Romain