[Mageia-marketing] Mageia product naming/scoping

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 11:22:35 CEST 2011

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 20:29, Patricia Fraser <trish at thefrasers.org> wrote:
> I'm thinking about names that can also be comfortable people whose
> grasp of the term "architecture" is tenuous, even before we
> abbreviate it. 8-)

Well, architecture is the right term. A model would be something even
more specific (a specific computer or device) and that is not so far
fetched as to imagine we may have builds for specific devices some day
soon (at least I hope so). And we would use the name "model" here.

> So, could we maybe make architecture into model; flavour into style;
> support into media, tag into type; and maybe we could split the
> current style into style and {region|language}... so:
>
> mageia-1-live-kde-europa-cd-beta1-i586.iso
>
> name, version, type, style, region, media, status, model...?

The type is optional here.

The LiveCD is an exception so far: the region is only relevant in the
Live CD context, because we can't fit all locales in a single CD
storage (700MB): so we have to decide either to build a single Live CD
with a limited range of languages, either to build several Live CD,
one for each languages set (or to have a LiveDVD, but this would
defeat the small download size goal then).

For other ISOs, we have DVDs (32bit, 64bit), CD (dual arch, netinstall
- 32bit & 64 too). As wobo told, we may have others too because we'll
decide to release different objects, depending on survey
understandings and goals.

> This is a *lot* of information for a newbie to parse.

Even too much. And partly because of that, the download page will have
the task to preselect the ISOs to download to the most likely ones to
be used by the visitor, for instance:
 - first we will mostly rely on the browser language prefs (for the
locale you're likely to search for) and remote IP address (for the
mirror to preselect),
 - for later releases, we can envision some data analytics on
downloads and usage stats to refine.

Romain