[Mageia-marketing] marcom + artwork + web => atelier ?

Max Quarterpleen bogusman222 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 11:01:58 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Romain d'Alverny <rdalverny at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Max Quarterpleen <bogusman222 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 7:27 PM, Romain d'Alverny <rdalverny at gmail.com>
> >>  - this team is named "atelier";
> >
> > My French is a little rusty. Does that mean "workshop"?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Who came up with that name?
>
> Doesn't matter. It's just picked to have something.

OK, sounds good.

> > How is it pronounced?
>
> /a.tə.lje/ see http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/atelier
>
> > And why? (I personally was starting to like webartcom)
>
> webartcom is reductive - and ugly.
>
> >>  - a new mailing-list is open for that;
> >
> > Are all participants of -marcom, -web and -artwork automatically
> subscribed
> > to this new list? What is the address? (So I can create a new mail
> filter)
>
> This list is not registered yet. All participants will have to
> subscribe, an update message stating each former list being closed and
> directions to subscribe to the new list will be sent.
>
> >>  - existing web, marcom and artwork lists are kept for archive, but
> >> locked down and all subscribers are unsubscribed;
> >
> > When will this happen?
>
> As soon as 3 or 4 people can agree on a plan and there's no large
> objection from others, and Council validates it. A good time would be
> by the end of this week.

Count me in. I don't know how much I'll be able to help, I've got a lot
going in in meatspace now, but I really do want to see things moving along
on this.
What kind of plan do we need? (Maybe start that in a new thread?)

> >>  - will have a say in whatever happens in this team, only those making
> >> and contributing things (so here, actionable designs, working code,
> >> graphics or copy, etc.); opinions and feedback from others still
> >> welcome, but not enough to move forward;
> >
> > So, sort of a reward for participating? Interesting.... but might not
> work.
>
> Then what would you suggest that would work better?
>
> Here it's not a reward; it's a right, if you participate/make things
> or if you're included by the team peers; and it's how it happens in
> other teams (packagers, dev, sysadmin, qa, i18n, etc.

Yes, I can see that. But part of the problem that we've had recently is
with people not contributing.
It's fine to say "If you contribute then you get a say in what happens" but
if nobody is contributing....
I can't really think of any alternative, since it is a very good way to do
things.
I'm just a little concerned about people not contributing.

> >>  - external contributions are a true option; that is, one team peer
> >> getting in touch/inviting a professional person [...]
> >
> > I think iamoverrated has already started doing this with a graphic
> designer.
> > I'm not sure on the details, we've been playing IRC tag for a week or
> so...
>
> Oh, that's great then. That would be even greater that details (what
> work, what scope, when, how, etc.) and progress are posted on this
> list so that things are not wasted or duplicated in the end.

I'll ping him and see what he can tell us.

> >>  - formatting our resources so that one-shot contributions from
> >> external people are made easier is a true option too (that means
> >> things easier to grasp, understand and update);
> >
> > How?
>
> I don't know. At this time, I only can find GitHub's "fork and pull"
> way very inspiring
> (https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests) + more
> documentation on how/why things are as they are.
>
> >>  - no more meeting, we plan and do things, and update everyone through
> >> the mailing-list (or other, but asynchronous); so being on IRC is not
> >> a must, just good to have;
> >
> > Where will we be hanging out? New channel? One of the existing channels?
>
> We'll see. "No meeting" policy doesn't prevent from chatting, hopefully :-p

Indeed.