[Mageia-marketing] Some ideas submitted for discussion

Josh King josh at linuxpunks.com
Mon Mar 19 21:06:53 CET 2012

Hey all,

I mentioned I had some ideas I was working on and would present to the
group. Well here are 2 of them

1) a Planet feed for mageia users. Users blog about Mageia and
interesting this as well, so why not have their own planet? Along with
that is making sure all the packagers are on planet mageia - there have
been many new ones added to the group but not added to the Planet. IMO,
planets are a great way for people to follow along with whats going on
in the community as a whole, who's doing what, or even to identify where
problems may be. I think this gives a bit more of a sense of ownership
to the average user as well. Any inputs on this? I assume this would
have to be coordinated with the web team?

2) Official titles for those who are evangelizing Mageia (Ubuntu has
LoCo teams, Fedora has Ambassadors). We reply on our users to help get
the word out, and they deserve something in return for this effort. I'm
not sure how we decide what this looks like for us or how to determine
what criteria need to be met (posting a review? submitting a news/blog
post to a major news site?) So this idea is much less concretely formed
and I'm open for any suggestions.

The point of all of this is to work on community building. Yes, by using
Mageia anyone is a member of the community. But adding something a bit
more official to strive for I think only helps to strengthen the brand.
I've worked in community building with several projects before, and the
most successful ones always offer ways to become "official" members to
regular users. I just see we are doing a great job in many areas but I
think this one could be improved somewhat. Anyone have any other ideas,
thoughts or comments?

Thanks!
Josh