[Mageia-marketing] mageiapeople.org

Josh King (dotmil) josh at linuxpunks.com
Fri Mar 23 14:18:41 CET 2012

On 03/23/2012 03:32 AM, Patricia Fraser wrote:

>> Am 23.03.2012 01:51, schrieb Josh King (dotmil):
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have a basic install of moonmoon set up and running on
>>> http://mageiapeople.org. I plan to do some design work this
>>> weekend so it's not so, well, boring looking.
>> What is its advantage over planet.mageia.org?
>> I also fail to see a reason for putting things like that up outside
>> the Mageia infrastructure.
>> Why not discuss it in advance? You are not working in a vacuum,
>> there is a project arround you, isn't there?
>>
>> Oliver
>
> +1. I have to ask - did you guys discuss this with anyone but
> yourselves? Email the council list, email the discuss list with a
> what-do-people-think?
>
> Aside from general courtesy, the Mageia name belongs to the
> community, and there are some rules about how we use it.
>
> Before the second planet goes any further, how about sending an email
> to the discuss list, and asking what people think? And contacting
> some other council members for feedback on the general idea?

Ok, I'll try to answer all of these in one shot. This idea was first
mentioned in my original email about it to this list and expounded upon
in subsequent messages:
https://www.mageia.org/pipermail/mageia-marketing/2012-March/000649.html

The idea is basically a planet for users of Mageia. These would be blog
feeds and have to comply with the code of conduct of course. This idea
gives people a chance to see there are real people behind Magia and is
in line with what some other distros do (see Ubuntu for one). The
official planet is designed for official team members/developers of
Magia. Different groups of people, different reasons for being. It's
conceived simply as a gateway to get users involved and looking to
contribute further to Mageia as well as provide some entertainment. It's
not in any way intended or designed to replace the official planet site
(which yes suffers from neglect badly)

  Putting it up on my own server was done simply out of convenience; it
could easily be moved to an official Mageia server if so desired.

As it currently stands it has been done more as a proof of concept than
anything else. We (sebsebseb, myself, logo, etc.) were discussing it on
IRC last night and had already agreed the next step was to post to the
discuss list and possibly the forum as well for feedback and comment. If
no one wants it, it's a simple rm -rf on my server and it's done. It's
on the web yes, but it's far from considered "live" by any means -  the
only traffic so far has been from myself and others helping with it.

I apologize if bringing this up on this list was incorrect. My thoughts
were that this was community building/marketing so naturally this was
the place to start. I'm more than happy to consult with any other
council members, especially any ones in particular who may be
interested. My plan isn't to develop this as a singular monument to
myself, but to add it as part of furthering Mageia as a whole. I'm
simply willing/able to do it and didn't think I was doing anything I
haven't done inside other OSS projects. So again I apologize if any
incorrect impressions were given. I would suggest this possibly become
some sort of guideline for future cases. The chances of someone single
handedly starting up "ilovemageia.com/.org/.net" increase as Mageia's
brand grows. Personally I think such fan sites, etc. would be good
things to have happen but that's just my opinion.

I hope this covered the questions and I'm more than happy to answer any
others. Also, any comments or guidance from elected team members are
welcome as well; off list if this is clogging up other marketing
business works for me as well. I'm holding off on any further actions
until everyone who wishes has a chance to speak on this. Then, if agreed
I will proceed with taking it up with the others mentioned.

Thanks!
Josh