[Mageia-marketing] Installer images

Patricia Fraser trish at thefrasers.org
Mon Mar 26 00:02:42 CEST 2012

Hi,

Looking at the texts from a marketing point of view, we need two things:

a) what is Mageia like that's *different* from everyone else

and

b) what about Mageia is going to be comfortable for *new* users.

So, interesting and reassuring, both at once.

With me so far?

For a), we have:

> 1. Mageia isn't just a Linux distribution: we're a community of
>   users, developers and advocates from around the world.

> 4. Mageia's Control Center gives you easy-access tools to set up
>   your hardware, software and more, all in one place.

for b), we have:

> 2. Free software means choice: KDE,  GNOME, LXDE or other desktops;
>   Firefox, Chromium and other browsers;  Thunderbird, KMail, Evolution
>   for mail...
>
> 3. Mageia covers your graphics, your video creation and editing needs
>   with tools like GIMP, Inkscape,  Blender...
>
> 5. For your everyday and office needs, LibreOffice, GnuCash,
>   KMyMoney and others cover word processing, spreadsheets,
>   presentations and finance.

It's probably a good idea to remember the texts we had for Mageia 1:

>  * screen 1 : "Thank you for testing Mageia Alpha
> 2" (s/testing/using/ for finale)
>  * screen 2 : "Please give us your impressions - we need your input
> to improve on this distribution"
>  * screen 3 : "We are a great, international community and we will
> welcome you when you join us!"

I have an idea we cleaned those up for the final, and there was
something in there about thanks for trying Mageia. I haven't seen the
installer for quite a while...

So: I think we're past the place where we thank people for giving us a
try; but we'll never be past the place where we want to say, welcome,
please join us if you aren't already here in the community. That's
partly covered in #1.

What about if in #1.5, we say something more about people joining the
community? and then we could condense 2, 3 and 5 into two points, and
we'd have our three.

I'm looking for people to actually write something, and post it back
to the list for us to consider and refine.

No more than 20 words per installer screen - less if you can manage it!

I'd like to have something to show Council at the meeting, which is in
about 24 hours, so please get started!

Cheers,

--
Trish Fraser, VVMZ4 91L2V