[Mageia-marketing] Emails lost yesterday

Sebastian sebsebseb_mageia at gmx.com
Wed May 2 04:11:16 CEST 2012

On 22/04/12, Patricia Fraser:
> Hi guys,
>
> Hard disk crashed yesterday, so if anyone sent mails to me in the
> last 24 hours - please resend!
>
> Cheers,
Hi Trish

I am replying to your email later than I would have done for various
reasons.

I am having my own hard disk problems at the moment, well partitions
really. Something wrong with the partition table. I also can't just put
my data easily on a external hard disk at the moment and start over for
example.

I could try fixing the partition table, but things are in quite a mess
let's put it that way, so on the verge of completely starting over.
It's been over a week now as well with these issues, but for various
reasons haven't just been able to start over.

I can boot up Windows XP properly, but not a Linux distro, and I can't
just go and install one again either, so I am stuck using Live CD's at
the moment or Windows when using this computer, until I move data off
this computer's hard disk that I want to keep, to some where else, so I
can completely start over with the partition table.

I could try fixing the partition table, but I am going to completely
start over.

I think you didn't read a email I sent about Saturday 19th May:
https://www.mageia.org/pipermail/mageia-marketing/2012-April/000856.html

I had this idea to do a time line type talk, how and why I got
interested in Mageia, how I got involved and when things happened, and
about Mageia itself, however there isn't really time for all of that in
only 5 minutes.

I am starting to get some LUG  interest in Mageia and that seems to be
going quite well so far :).

Someone gave me some suggestions for the talk from the LUG as well :).
For example how every word I say has to be relevant, and basically how I
should plan for four minutes, then try and cut stuff down as well.

Oliver sent me a slide show of a talk he did about Mageia.

I would like some proper help from Mageia marketing  and communications
team people to plan this talk properly, but also with a slide show, and
even with the website description, however it seems that quite a few
people have disappeared on us.

It's a 5 minute talk, and since I am going to be going there to
officially represent the Mageia project, I want to make sure that I am
doing so properly.  To some extent I will also be representing the LUG I
guess, because I am down as being from the LUG on the website when it
comes to the group. So another reason why this talk should be done properly.

The person from the LUG basically suggested that I need to say what
makes Mageia good when compared to other distros, and well indeed at
that, but what makes it so good really when compared to other distros?

Obviously when compared to many other distributions the control centre,
but what else?

I think my talk should basically be, introducing myself as a Mageia
contributor, introducing Mageia, more information about Mageia such as
what makes it good for many users, and an ending.

I also plan to put some contact details into the talk itself or at least
the slide show.  For example I would like to tell people that they can
follow me on Identica a alternative to Twitter where I spread interest
in Mageia and that mainly has people interested in Linux using it.
Probably something about IRC channels as well.

I think keywords in the talk should be we and our, because I'll be
talking officially.  I also think I should introduce myself officially.
Something like:  "Good afternoon my name is Sebastian and I am the
Mageia marketing and communications team deputy leader, and a member of
the artwork and documentation teams."

Or something like "Good afternoon my name is Sebastian and I am the
Mageia marketing and communications team deputy leader, and a member of
the artwork and documentation teams. I also run Freenode IRC channels
for the Linux distribution such as Mageia UK and Mageia Social, and help
to spread interest in Mageia on Identica a open alternative to Twitter
with mainly Linux users using it."

Or maybe something like: "Good afternoon my name is Sebastian and I am a
Linux enthusiast who decided to get involved with Mageia a fork of the
commercial Mandriva Linux distribution, which goes back to 1998 when it
was called Mandrake. Mageia is a 100% community distribution, with a non
profit organisation behind it, and everyone who contributes is a
volunteer, and I am the Mageia marketing and communications team deputy
leader, and a member of the artwork and documentation teams. On
September 18th 2010 it was announced that ex Mandriva employee's and
other contributors were going to fork Mandriva into Mageia. Mageia 1 was
released on the 1st of June last year, and our second version was
released on Tuesday of this week. I also run Freenode IRC network
channels for the project such as Mageia UK and Mageia Social."

At the beginning of the talk I think I should  introduce myself, say
what Mageia is and how it's a fork of Mandriva and why it forked, and
when the announcement of Mageia was and when the first and second
release was.

There are various ways I could say it's a fork and something about that,
but how do you think I should do it? Another example is this: "On
September 18th 2010 it was announced on the Mageia website, that some ex
Mandriva employee's and other contributors were going to fork Mandriva
into a 100% community distribution with a non profit organisation behind
it, because Edge-IT a company working on Mandriva got liquidated and
many former employee's got laid off as a result."  Remember I only got 5
minutes and wouldn't really want to say to much about the fork and it
could use valuable time if I am doing that.

What about FOSDEM and our AGM and that kind of thing? Should I say
something like this for example? "Mageia goes to events and our main
event is FOSDEM where our AGM happens as well".  Or something like this
even?  "Mageia has a presence at events and our main event is when
contributors go to Brussels, because of FOSDEM. We have our AGM at
FOSDEM for example."

I think it's a good idea to say something like: "Mageia may still be
quite a new Linux distribution, but we do have developers who contribute
to upstream projects, for example our Gnome maintainer is on the
upstream Gnome release team, and our Pulseaudio maintainer develops it
upstream."

I think it may be a good idea to say something about contributing and
teams, and the council and the board, and how that works, and how each
year people vote on who they would like to have as the team leader and
deputy leader, and that kind of thing?  In the slide show Oliver sent me
there's a diagram that tries to explain that, however also one that may
need some updating if going to be used.  Probably should also say in the
talk that Mageia has a few founders, but maybe add something in about
them not really having a special status as such as a result, because in
Mageia we treat people equally?  I think the votes system for teams is
worth mentioning for sure, because I like the idea of mentioning it and
then saying how as a result it doesn't matter if someone was there from
the beginning or not, they can join a team and possibly end up leading
it n the future even, which I think is good.

When it comes to the organisation might be worth saying that it's a
French non profit organisation, but Mageia is a international project so
contributors from loads of different countries.

Also when it comes to releases it may be worth saying something like
"Mageia 1 was released with Gnome 2.32 and KDE 4.6 with XFCE and LXDE
available in the repos when KDE 4.6 was quite new as well, and Mageia 2
has a recent Linux kernel and Gnome 3.4 and KDE 4.6 and XFCE and LXDE is
available in the repos as well."  I think maybe something quick to do
with that, but nothing to long, since everyone in the audience as far as
I know won't be using a Desktop Linux distro as their operating system
of choice, even though the audience in general will be quite technical.

P.S

To anyone who reads this message  before Saturday 19th May 2012, please
provide suggestions for the talk :).