[Mageia-marketing] Web site, a few updates pending, open for comments

Sebastian sebsebseb_mageia at gmx.com
Fri May 11 23:59:18 CEST 2012

On 11/05/12 15:45, Romain d'Alverny wrote:
> Hi there,
> (xposted on mageia-webteam and mageia-marketing, I'll track answers on
> both lists)
>
> I'm working on a few changes on the Web site:
>
>   a. (related to below) a new global top navbar, that's consistent
> across all mageia.org; a preview is available here:
> http://www.mageia.org/en/about/?testnav=1
Nice idea, but doesn't' look quite right to me, however I assume its
just a draft preview anyway.
> ; documentation for
> using/spreading it is available here: http://www.mageia.org/_nav/ ;
> improvements brought by this new design:
>     - it's consistent and can be consistently deployed and updated in
> all mageia.org sites and apps (using the javascript snippet);
>     - it embeds the Mageia project logo, so branding is consistent too;
>     - it structures and highlights how the mageia.org Web at large is organized.
If I understand correctly the navigation bar is meant to be used by
other Mageia websites as well not just http://magiea.org ?

>   b. (related to above) a more obvious site map, a preview is available
> here: http://www.mageia.org/fr/map/?testnav=1
Looks good to me :).

>   d. change how people get to mageia.org:
>     1. the home page of www.mageia.org will focus and provide a single
> major call to action: get Mageia; with a few, lower contrast other
> actions (more info, contribute). Preview here:
> http://i.imgur.com/nDlwK.png
Looks good to me :).

> start.mageia.org which in turn redirects to www.mageia.org; I'd like
> to change that so that start.mageia.org goes to
> www.mageia.org/community/
>     3. given these changes, in the new navigation bar, clicking on the
> logo/home position would not redirect to the c.1. home (which is
> targetted to fresh/new visitors) neither /community, but to /map which
> provides a large, top-view of what's available in mageia.org Web site.
> That's quite a change from usual navigation practices (although it is
> used sometimes), and I'm not 100% confident yet, but I think it's
> worth trying something a bit different.
I think I understand this. A new potential user is likely to start on
http://mageia.org. Usually when a logo is put on a website as part of
the design it will link back to the homepage, but instead you would like
it to link to the map page, which I think makes sense.

Then when people are using Mageia you would like Firefox for example to
open up a contributing to the community page by default, rather than the
homepage or map which I think makes sense, because ideally we would want
loads of our users to contribute to it as well.

I have my own request for the website, please mention Identica on the
website again, and I would suggest having it link to the Mageia group,
because I make sure important news gets shown there and so on.
http://identi.ca/group/mageia

In fact if you got access to the group settings, can you please make me
an admin of the group, so that I can clear out fake accounts.

Also can you please upload a better logo, because the one that is
currently there something is wrong with it apparently.

Also ideally Mageia should have people on all the social networking
sites where Mageia has a presence taking them seriously promoting
Mageia, so yep Diaspora really as well, which you should probably also
mention on the http://mageia.org website.

Also ideally the http://identi.ca/mageia account should send the news to
the group.  Diaspora with another program can send to Identica, and
Identica can send directly to Twitter.  Then I think Twitter can send to
Facebook as well some how.