[Mageia-sysadm] on updates and reboot

Michael Scherer misc at ephaone.org
Wed Dec 8 13:04:00 CET 2010

Hi,

Software being what they are ( ie, more buggy than what we would ), we
have to upgrade them fairly often.

Some upgrade requires services restart, and some requires reboot.

Common knowledge would tell us that we should restart it on night ( or
evening ) to minimize disruption for users. But this approach cause 2
problem :
- we are a global community, meaning that the sun always shine somewhere
- in case of problem ( like reboot ), we will have to wait longer if we
do not take in account the opening hour of our hosting provider ( Lost
Oasis & Gandi )

So I propose we do the various reboot and upgrade at noon, Paris time,
or around 17h, so we can see if someone can go to take care of the
servers at marseille ( Lost Oasis ).

For the gandi vm, I must confess that I do not know if :
- we can get some kvm access
- we can upgrade the kernel ( since everything is still running a older
version of mandriva, I suspect there is a reason )

Now, on the topic of update, the various repository installed on server
are quite inconsistants. Some of them have backports, some of them
don't. Some have non-free, some don't. So I think we should :

1) decide on what do we need exactly

2) enforce this by puppet

3) decide how we handle update ( especially the update of backports )

Opinions ?