[Mageia-sysadm] Mailling list type

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Fri Dec 10 02:47:43 CET 2010

Hi,

After thinking hard, I have seen that we will likely need 7 profiles of
mailling list ( sympa requires us to choose a profile when creating the
list, so instead of using a different one for each list, I have tried to
find the common one ).

Basically, the only things that would matter are :

- who can read the archive : public / private ( if no archive, this is
not a ml, this is a alias, thus being handled by postfix, not sympa )

- who can subscribe ( and unsubscribe ) : everybody / no one ( ie
restricted to some people decided in ldap using a group, or some other
systems )

- who can post without moderation : everybody / subscriber / a single
email / a ldap group

And so based on combination and usage pattern i think the 7 types of
list here would cover all use cases :

Automated announce list :
* announce_list_email
ex : changelog@ , svn-commits@,
- subscribe : everybody
- post :  a single email ( read, a script )
- archive : public

Announce list :
* announce_list_group
ex : mageia-announce at zarb
- subscribe : everybody
- post :  specific ldap group member
- archive : public

Discussion list :
* public_list
ex : mageia-discuss, mageia-sysadm, etc, etc
- subscribe : everybody
- post : subscriber only
- archive : public

Private list :
* private_list
ex : security-team if some embargo apply on exploits
- subscribe : no one ( based on ldap group )
- post : subscriber only
- archive : private

Contact list :
* private_list_open
ex : press@ , contact@, because people who write here may expect some
privacy
- subscribe : no one ( based on ldap group )
- post : everybody
- archive : private

Automated contact list :
* private_list_email
ex : blogteam@, for the moderation of comment ( and not the translation
part :/ )
- subscribe : no one, based on ldap
- post : only from a email ( read again, a script )
- archive : private

and the last one, who could at least serve for the board and the council
( the public lists as explained on
http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=org , the private ones are already
covered ) :

* ( i didn't found the name yet )
- subscribe : none, based on ldap
- post : either all, or subscriber only
- archive : public

Do I miss something ( beside a name for the last profile ) ?

Of course, we can always add some profiles later, but I want to be sure
that I didn't forget something too obvious.

I will add this on the wiki and propose this on discuss after checking
that we can indeed do what is planned :)