[Mageia-sysadm] msec and puppet

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Fri Dec 17 12:51:37 CET 2010

Hi,

While trying to understand why alamut and krampouezh somehow synchronize
themself so they run puppet at the exact same time, I noticed that
puppet keep rewriting system-auth again and again.

Problem is that msec enforce minimal password length of 4, while we
enforce a minimal setting of 8. So puppet write the file, the cronjob
run msec, that set it to 4, then puppet set 8 again, etc, etc.

For the moment, I have changed msec config
( /etc/security/msec/level.standard, PASSWORD_LENGTH=8,0,0 ).

Should we remove msec, or configure it with puppet on all the servers ?

( and if we decide to deploy msec, who is volunteer to do the
manifests ? )