[Mageia-sysadm] Usernames, uids, and groups

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 17:40:24 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 17:29, nicolas vigier <boklm at mars-attacks.org> wrote:
> On some machines like the svn server, we need to use pam_ldap to allow
> users access with their ldap accounts. But on others servers like
> alamut (web services), or the build nodes, normal users have no reason
> to login. On those servers, do you think we should restrict access with
> ssh configuration and a group, or disable pam_ldap completly on those
> servers and only use local accounts ?

What would be the risk(s) to use specific ldap groups for that
purpose? (managing all access in a similar way may be better, no?)

> And groups. I think we could use the following groups :
>  * posix : promotes the user as posixAccount+sshPublicKey (in ldap), and
>   allows access to the svn and git using svn+ssh:// and git+ssh://
>  * packager : allows commits in packages repository, package submit using
>   mdvsys, additional permissions on bugzilla, access to the packages
>   maintainers database, etc ...
>  * web : for members of web team, allows commits in web repository
>  * documentation, translator, qa, marketing, etc ... :
>  * packagerapprentice, webapprentice, etc ... : for apprentices, with
>   more restricted access
>  * sysadm : gives admin permissions on all applications

LDAP groups should as well map team membership. So marketing team guys
would belong to such a marketingTeam group then.

> What do you think ?

We probably won't nail this one in one shot :-)

As for web, we would need three roles:
 - web-apprentice
 - web (commits to web repos and pushes to tests servers)
 - webmaster (pushes to prod servers)

We need groups as well for (not exclusive):
 - being a team representative (that is, in the Council)
 - being an association member (eligible and elector)
 - being a board member
 - being the chair(wo)man

Are group belonging/ownership a "one-time" record or does it get
archived? (to access a history of past membership). Or should such a
history be built separately?

Romain