[Mageia-sysadm] install of a websvn on svn server ?

Michael scherer misc at zarb.org
Tue Nov 9 18:48:23 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 02:31:06PM +0100, Dexter Morgan wrote:

> can you tell some other alternatives ? so we can take a look to them
> and choose the one that fit the more our needs.

We should maybe start by explicting the needs ?

I can propose some :

- must be able to enumerate distant svn ( unless we place it on valstar
, and I think we shouldn't for security reasons, as this is the
server that old all passwords and the future gpg key of
the distribution, among others, so it should IMHO be kept free
of interaction with internet as much as possible  )

- must be able to cope with big repository ( as Mandriva still suffer from
problem when looking at the svn for packages ). The patch for directory
limitation seems to have applied and lost on the viewvc we used ( one
more reason to use rpm of the distribution and to push patch upstream )

- must not be a ressources hog ( as it will likely be indexed sooner
or later by Google or a search engine, even if we can suppose
that robots.txt will be used to prevent that ). This also exclude
all setup based on basic CGI, for well know performance reasons.

- must be maintained, packaged, without a history full of security hole
that would make Berlin wall look rock solid in comparaison.

- do we plan to host git repository ? It seems so ( we did at mandriva,
and I think a growing number of contributers will want it ). Others
SCMs ? I do not know, but we should ask. ( but I never seen people asking
for bzr and hg hosting, maybe nanar for darcs ). We can also say this is
not the goal of this tool, as we did fr mdv.

- must be easy to theme
- should be without recompiling the whole rpm
- should not need to copy the css ( ie, take a distant one, as this
will ease the job of the webteam and help on perfs )

- should support ACLs. While we do not need for the moment, but
this may be a need that will arise for the secteam or for keeping password
( see my previous mail about it for extlookup, puppet and so one ).

If we decide we need ACLs, we need to find how to plug them to ldap.
A simple apache module could do the trick, depend on the url used.

- should support non text content ( to display imagess )
for website for example.

- must handle diff ( for text )

- should support syntax highligthing

And finally, maybe ask directly to the people who will use if
they have some needs not fullfilled by the current tools ( without
getting out of the scope of the use case "look at svn using the web" )

For example, a link to the bugtracker when we see #foo123 in commit message
would be nice. Some people also would like to see a nice ajax interface,
and some would like to have it working without it.

And for tools proposal we can either use
websvn, viewvc, or try to use redmine/trac and hide everything
( and I think we should rather avoid this solution ).
Some people on stackoverlow.com seems to say that usvn could be
used too ( even if it does much more than what we think ).

There is also some other non free solution, like fisheye, but I would
not recommend for obvious reasons.