[Mageia-sysadm] Main tasks for the next days

Olivier Blin mageia at blino.org
Wed Nov 17 22:22:08 CET 2010

Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> writes:

> So, my own analysis :
>
> If the name is displayed in a released product to identify it, yes, this
> is problematic. In the rpm name, in the interface like "mandriva control
> center" in title or "about page", in the documentation.

Agreed

> If the name is used in email, or for copyright notice, then we need to
> keep it ( as doing otherwise would be seen as copyright violation ).

Yes

> If the name is used in a comment, in a procedure or variable name, or in
> a url for technical reason, I do not think it need to be removed
> ( except for technical reason, obviously ).

Agreed as well

> Now, the tricky part :
> If we have a file in svn that would display the name in such a way that
> would be used as brand, it this a problem ?
>
> I think it is not, as long as we do not distribute this as a product
> ( ie, release a tarball ), nor encourage people to use the old version
> ( ie if we say "use the old svn version as the feature are much better
> with all unfixed bug" ). We will be clearly doing the contrary, ie
> distribute fixed software ( with fixed meaning without actively using
> Mandriva name in such a way that we will use it as a brand, distribute
> mean "putting a tarball on our server" ) and push usually the latest
> version.

If the SVN is public and contain packages like mandriva-release, that's
opening the door for potential troubles.
I think we should not take risk, and start cleaning packages of the
Mandriva name in a private SVN, and only make public a new SVN repo
starting from the cleaned packages, without any reference to previous
Mandriva stuff.

> Hearst lawyers didn't asked to remove the name from svn/cvs afaik.
> Neither did mozilla asked Debian to do so for the mozilla/iceweasel
> case.

Doesn't mean it won't happen for us :)

> For example, let's take urpmi :
> [misc at virgo ~] $ grep -i -s  mandriva $(rpm -ql urpmi) | grep -v
> Copyright
>
> I removed Copyright because that's legal mention that IMO we need to
> keep.
>
> And so it give :
> /usr/share/doc/urpmi/NEWS is not using the mark ( 2 links and 2
> explanation upon a new feature about mandriva kernel ), this is ot used
> as a distinctive sign.
>
> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0/urpm.pm
> used in the description of the tool.
>
> urpm - Mandriva perl tools to handle the urpmi database
>
> this one is likely be something we will need to change if we distribute
> the module.

Ok

> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0/urpm/cfg.pm
> -> url to the mirror, can be kept in svn ( but need to be changed to
> work again )
>

> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0/urpm/media.pm
>
> $distribconf->settree('mandriva');
>
> name is used as a constant, this is not displayed anywhere. Therefore,
> no problem in keeping it in the history.
>
> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0/urpm/mirrors.pm
>
> -> a procedure called    _mandriva_mirrorlist. Not a trademark
> violation, as this is never displayed. It should be indeed changed to be
> cleaner.
> And some urls used by the procedure.

I would feel safer if all these get burried and don't appear on our
public website (viewvc).

> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0/urpm/msg.pm
>
> a comment telling this come from svn.mandriva.com. Not a trademark
> violation.
>
> So basically, for urpmi ( a old version ), the only thing to change is
> the documentation. And as long as we do not distribute it ( ie, in a
> package or in a tarball ), I think it is not used as a distinctive
> sign.
>
> I will also add that Mandriva is a trademark, but mdv and mdk are not.
>
> Therefore, except the various mandriva-foo-config ( who are more
> configuration than software ) and rpm-mandriva-setup, the software name
> will likely not be a problem.

Yep
Same for drakx

> Now, if we decide that we also need to clean svn, we can use git and
> tailor to do some trick to clean the source code ( ie, in the case of
> urpmi, remove the name mandriva from the pod documentation ).

We can start working in a private svn to clean the Mandriva references,
and only publish the last revision, containing a completely clean repo

--
Olivier Blin - blino