[Mageia-sysadm] something to not forget in case of svn import

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Tue Nov 23 16:07:37 CET 2010

Le mardi 23 novembre 2010 à 11:10 +0100, Romain d'Alverny a écrit :
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 03:35, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
> >
> > I just realized something :
> > if we do import svn from mandriva, we need somehow to keep the same
> > login, or we will end up with some confusion ( and copyright
> > misattribution, I fear ).
> >
> > For example, dams at mageia is not the same than dams at mandriva, to
> > name the first case that will likely cause trouble :/
>
> It's the same physical person here, so the same author. Only the
> context has changed (he's not employed by the same entity).
>
> The trouble would be that someone else uses the same "dams" username.

It is. Dams at mandriva is damien krotkine. Our dams had another login
back in that time.

> Moreover, copyright attribution is time-specific. So what happened to
> code written/committed by dams before 2010 Sept. is authored by him
> and copyright exercise right is attributed to Mandriva. Code
> written/committed by dams after 2010 Sept. is his only (unless a new
> employer requires copyright attribution through contract).
>
> So I don't see a specific issue here or I did not understand it?

There is 2 issues. We have packages, and we have software ( or
assimilated ).

For packages :

Let's imagine that we import the svn, with history.
If I look at the svn changelog, how do I know that dams is not the
same ?

And now, the tricky part :
since the changelog of rpm is created by looking at the changelog, and
since the changelog serve as de facto copyright notice for rpm, how can
we ensure they are properly generated ?

For our case, we are lucky since the plan is to import srpm, and so the
changelog from the srpm will be imported, and kept in svn to be readded
to the new rpm once we modify it ( completed with the generated rpm
changelog by using svn changelog ).

So no problem ( if changelog is complete of course, and I am not sure it
is, we need to check this ).

( I know, all of that to say there is no problem. )

For software ( or assimilated, ie everything non related to rpm packages
that is a text file stored in svn ) :
For this, no rpm changelog involved. Maybe no changelog file either,
depending on the software.
It used to be written from the svn/cvs changelog for some software,
maybe blino can tell us more about it.

So if we want to be clean, we should ensure that copyright notice are up
to date in every source file before import, because we will not be able
to do that later by relying on svn.

> > So, how could we do ?
> > ( I think we could rename upon import, I guess ).
>
> We can do that? (reattributing to dams at mandriva for "old" dams)

Depend on how we reimport, but yes, I think that tailor could do it.

That also mean that we may also monitor incoming account creation to
prevent the problem from happening again in the future.

Ie, what if someone create a account eugeni while not being the same as
Mandriva ? Would it have a impact ( besides statistics among others ) ?

We can decide to reserve some accounts to give it back to mandriva
people.

We could suffix every account when we import svn history ( except that
most people have kept the same user name so we could suffix unless
people have kept the same account ).

Or we could always use option 3, ignore it.