[Mageia-sysadm] [LONG] sympa ( and web apps ) ldap authentication

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Thu Nov 25 21:45:22 CET 2010

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010, Michael Scherer wrote:

> > > This way :
> > > 1) we do not force identity on anybody
> >
> > ?
>
> Ie, people can subscribe without using identity.
>
> Several people asked in the past to use the ml to nntp gateway of gmane.
> ( and to some extend some kind of forum to ml gateway )
>
> So this require the service to subscribe to our ml. And in turn, this
> mean opening a account for the service ( while before, it was able to
> fully subscribe automatically at least for gmane ). So maybe there is
> other popular services like there that could requires this.

I don't know how it works with LDAP, but in the default sympa config
(without ldap), you can subscribe to mailing lists without setting a
password if you subscribe by sending an email. You only need to set a
password (which you receive by email after requesting it) if you want
to login to the web interface (to change settings or read private
archives).

So maybe it can be the same here :
 - no need to have an account on identity to subscribe to mailing lists
   if you subscribe by sending an email
 - if you want to login to the sympa web interface, you need to create
   an account on identity