[Mageia-sysadm] [LONG] sympa ( and web apps ) ldap authentication

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Fri Nov 26 03:08:34 CET 2010

Le vendredi 26 novembre 2010 à 02:10 +0100, nicolas vigier a écrit :
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2010, Michael Scherer wrote:
>

> > - find a way to ensure unicity of email for the secondary emails that
> > user can enter. If possible, on the ldap level directly, but maybe doing
> > it on catdap level would be enough. I would feel safer to have this at
> > ldap level for obvious reasons of data integrity.
> >

> > - once we have enabled and checked it, and ensured that this is not a
> > potential source of problem, enable the use of the secondary email as a
> > login, in addition to username and primary email
> >
> > ( this should not requires much patching of application, but if needed,
> > same rule as previously apply ).
>
> Is it really needed to allow users to enter secondary emails ? How will
> they be used ?

Nothing fancy as said before :

- vcard like feature for those that want ( ie, nothing force people to
enter them ). There is already provision of this in ldap schema, and I
think that's something that people could want. At least, I would, but I
could live without it.

However among the 3 distribution DIT I checked :
launchpad (ubuntu) does it ( but you have to be logged to see ),
fas (fedora) doesn't ,
and debian db do not show email and I do not have access to it to check.
But I do not think it has any kind of email in their ldap, as the
primary authentication system is gpg.

- additional mail that would be accepted when posting on sympa for
people like me or nanar that use several mails, or for specific case
like cross posting ( I use @mdv.org on mdv email, and @zarb.org on
mageia ml, so cross posting is not possible for someone like me ).
That's my pet peeve.

- could ease people's life as they would use any of their mails ( ie no
need to remember what mail they did use, as noted by nanar in this
thread )

But also note this is a secondary feature, ie one that we cannot enable
right now, as we first need to check this is doable without too much
work ( or doable with lots of work if someone does the work ).

So not having it would be ok too.