[Mageia-sysadm] planning for sysadmin task

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Tue Oct 26 16:40:13 CEST 2010

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010, Olivier Thauvin wrote:

> From the experience I had with epoll, seting-up the application were
> complicated in past due by the lack of dependencies in the rpm or on
> perl side.
> Epoll need a lot of perl module, mainly because Catalyst is splitted in
> several part.
>
> I solved the issue since (on both perl side and rpm side).
>
> Since you prefer to not using rpm, the work to setup such application
> get more complicated, especially if the sys admin don't know perl (in
> this case, the same apply to php apps, python, etc...).

It's not "not using rpm at all for any web apps". I think we can use RPM
packages when it's more convenient. In some cases such as epoll, it can
be more convenient to use an RPM. But not in all cases. I think it
depends on the application, and how we use it.

For the main mageia.org website for instance, do we want to use a
package that we will have to update, rebuild, and ask an admin to
install it, each time someone in the web team wants to fix a typo ?

Nicolas