[Mageia-sysadm] automated script to install vm

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Sat Aug 20 14:11:23 CEST 2011

Hi,

as I had to reinstall and setup again the whole testing infrastructure I
had before losing my harddrive, i started to see how I could automate
everything, using pxe and autoinstall.

It turn out that libvirt already support that without having to deploy a
complex setup. So I wrote a script, inspired by
http://kashyapc.wordpress.com/2011/08/18/unattended-guest-install-with-a-local-kickstart/

It is still a work in progress for now ( I didn't automate yet the part
beyond auto installation of the server in a vm ), but it is useful
enough for people wanting to do the same ( the tricky part was to debug
my own errors :/ ).
I will push it to svn/git when I will know where it would be better to
host it ( I guess adm/tools would be the proper location, except that's
retricted, so maybe /soft/ somewhere ? ).

To use it, you simply install libvirtd-utils ( and virt-manager,
virt-viewer, qemu, I guess ), make sure you have enough space
in /var/lib/libvirtd, that libvirtd is started, and run it. It should
ask your password ( maybe 2 times ), and everything else should be
automated ( if I am not wrong ).

I would be interested into feedback about it.