[Mageia-sysadm] new group created in ldap

Samuel Verschelde stormi at laposte.net
Fri Feb 11 09:33:44 CET 2011

Le vendredi 11 février 2011 00:32:55, Michael Scherer a écrit :
> Le jeudi 10 février 2011 à 23:26 +0100, Samuel Verschelde a écrit :
> > Le jeudi 10 février 2011 21:56:32, Michael Scherer a écrit :
> > > Hi, I have created the group mga-founders to hold the uid of founders.
> > > Just FYI.
> > >
> > > Since we start to have lots of group, I suggest that we start using the
> > > description attribute, to store information about the goal of each
> > > group ( just checked the rfc, after thomas suggested ).
> > >
> > > Or should we also track this on the wiki ?
> >
> > Has the concept of "founders" still a meaning now that we have a board
> > and team council representatives ? I thought the "founders" were only a
> > temporary group meant to let place to the council and the board.
>
> According to statutes, yes :
> http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=mageia_org_statutes
> See article 6.
>
> And according to Article 12, the founders are part of the assembly, no
> matter their statutes ( from my understanding ). This is not clear if a
> founder moved to the status of honor member ( article 6, again ) must be
> present to the assembly or not.

Except if there is a legal reason for that, I don' understand why there's such
a distinction between founder members and active members. To me, this is
exactly the same thing, the founders being just the first active members.

Now that I read the statuses, I see that in pratice, founders have no different
practical role than active members. Then I still maintain I don't see what the
distinction between founders and active members is for.

This is nothing personal (I am not going to be an active member for now, being
council representative of no team), but this distinction feels weird in our
community based governance.

But I should move this discussion to another ML.

Regards

Samuel