[Mageia-sysadm] LDAP group for translator, delegation

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 19 16:17:42 CET 2011

2011/2/19 Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org>:
> Hi,
>
> After the meeting of i18n, where people asked me to come to discuss tx, I
> discovered
> that it was not working for people outside of me, due to various acl issues.
>
> So now this is fixed ( rev 1139 ), there is the question of who should
> access transifex.
>
> Jehane on #mageia-i18N proposed to have the access for each tranlator (
> sound good ),
> and I proposed to restrict staff/super user privileges to team leader. ( I
> do not know yet
> what it mean for transifex ).
>
> First question :
>
> Should we have 1 big group for that, and let people manage the various
> subteams outside
> of ldap, or have 1 group per language ?
>
> 1 big group is easier, and we can delegate the management to 1/2 person ( ie
> i18n team leader ).
>
> Several group is IMHO more scalable, but this requires more work on our
> side. And this will not
> map to permission on tx and the blog, among others.

1 big group will surely mean less work for all involved, it also means
more discipline for the translators/ language team leaders. :)

If I understand previous discussions correctly this has nothing to do
with the commit permissions (pushing translated files to svn).

For safety reasons (bus error) I suggest to go for 2 person management.

> Second question :
>
> For delegation, I know that some stuff are planned in catdap, but for the
> moment do people think
> this is ok to place team leader as owner of the group in ldap, and ask them
> to use a ldap editor ( for those
> that know it, of course ). The connexion should be secured, and the access
> should be simple enough, but
> we should better check twice
>
> --
> Michael Scherer