[Mageia-sysadm] new logical volume on alamut

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Mon Feb 21 22:24:13 CET 2011

On Monday, 21 February 2011 21:06:58 Maarten Vanraes wrote:
> Op maandag 21 februari 2011 19:32:18 schreef Michael Scherer:
> > Hi,
> >
> > since the synchronisation task on alamut filled /, I have added
> > another logical volume, simply named 'svn', mounted on /svn/.
> > 15 g, currently fill on 9g.
> >
> > So for monitoring, anyone ?
>
> i mentioned it before, but if you know nagios, you should look into omd
> http://omdistro.org (which started as check_mk nagios plugins for faster
> configuration, and is now more or less a nagios fork, except it's not
> forked, i think).
>
> the check_mk part just means it's alot less work to configure nagios.

Xymon (nee Hobbit, a clone of BB) needs very little configuration for a basic
environment, and provides lots of features Nagios didn't provide (last time I
looked at Nagios):

1)Install xymon package on monitoring server and start xymon service
2)Install xymon-client on hosts to be monitored (for cpu,processes, disk
utilisation, log file alerting etc.) and put IP of monitoring server in
/etc/sysconfig/xymon-client, start xymon-client service
3)Add a default alerting rule

By default, you will have some relatively sane default thresholds, load
average graph, memory/swap graph, disk utilisation graphs. Other default
trends (not alerted on by default) include network statistics, vmstat graphs.
Some checks supported without any additional installation require some
configuration (log files, ports, processes).

Built-in network service monitoring is advanced in some cases (http, ldap),
but not as advanced for others (e.g. default smtp check just checks for a
header, no smtp auth).

There are probably fewer extensions than Nagios plugins though (and I need to
finish some I have been working on).

If we want a more service-based approach (e.g. ITIL), then Zabbix may be
better.

The Nagios interface always makes me feel lost ...

Regards,
Buchan