[Mageia-sysadm] mirrors readme/howto/script

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 15:40:27 CET 2011

Hi there,

checking the mirrors.readme file, I wondered if we could not only
provide directions on how to setup a mirror, but as well provide a
simple bash script that, by default, does what we would expect best
from a mirror provider, leaving the admin customize it.

As I did it as an exercise for myself :-p here is attached such a
script, with comments to guide. Of course, it's intended more to non
experts as mirroring instructions would be enough and admins may
prefer to double-check what is going to be run. Still, in the event
this could help make the mirroring process easier for some... why not
provide it and see if/how it is used?

You may notice that it would help then that Tier1 and Tier2 mirrors
are explicitly shown as such in the default mirrors list on
mirror.mageia.org; so we can point people to, for instance,
http://mirrors.mageia.org/?tier1 to get only Tier1 mirrors (yes,
today, there's only one). Does that make sense?

On a side note, Nanar, how may I submit patches for the mirrors app?
push the (small) patches to you or commit to trunk directly?

As a second-thought, an extension of this script could be to provide a
sample script to gather download stats and push them to one of our
server collecting download stats from several mirrors.

What do you think?

Romain