[Mageia-sysadm] DNS update and redirection

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Mon Jan 3 22:21:24 CET 2011

Le lundi 03 janvier 2011 à 21:28 +0100, Romain d'Alverny a écrit :
> Hi there,
>
> as notified here
> (https://mageia.org/pipermail/mageia-webteam/2011-January/000087.html
> ) we moved the donation pages from donate.mageia.org to
> www.mageia.org.
>
> We need to update the DNS record for donate.mageia.org: we redirect to
> a new donate.mageia.org vhost somewhere, which will just host a
> rewrite rule along this line:
>
>     RewriteRule ^/(.*)/$ http://www.mageia.org/$1/donate/ [R,L]

I would add R=permanent, to ease the work of search engine ( even if I
have no slight idea if this would really help them, but I assume that
following http norm is the best we can do ).

Shouldn't we also set some logs to see if we have traffic on this
vhost ?

> (or, even simplest, if the above is too time consuming, we might just
> as well redirect/rewrite donate.mageia.org to www.mageia.org).

A single rewriterule is not what gonna take ressources, when compared to
some others software.

> What do you think? Can we do that?

Well, we can, I guess we can host it on alamut.