[Mageia-sysadm] Wiki setup

Oliver Burger oliver.bgr at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 10 11:11:06 CET 2011

Sorry if I confuse things...
I shouldn't have crossposted on web and sysadm, but I wanted to inform/ask
both teams and I don't know, who reads which MLs...

Am Montag, 10. Januar 2011, 01:07:03 schrieb Michael Scherer:
> Le lundi 10 janvier 2011 à 00:24 +0100, Romain d'Alverny a écrit :
> > On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 00:04, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
> > > Now, what I would want to see is :
> > > 1) who decide the language that goes ( because someone has to decide, I
> > > do not think that media is so flexible that anybody can start here own
> > > language, and if there
> >
> > That would be a wiki team (that is a mix of i18n and doc team I
> > guess?). Against a specific policy (like, having a sufficient list of
> > involved-enough people to take care of a newly open wiki locale).
>
> Yup, so that should be decided ( not right now, but taken care if
> possible before announcing the wiki ).
I think, we need some kind of "wiki team" to keep an eye on it. I would prefer
to have the contents of the "international" english wiki and the other
language wikis similar.
Sure there will be sections which will be language/country specific (like local
events,...) but most things should be translated from one central point.

So in my opinion the wiki team should decide all organizational things about
the wiki and it should keep an eye on the contents.
Translations should be done by i18n people. I don't think it makes much sense
to have two different groups of translators in the project.

> > > 2)  How many database do we need ( ie, creation of 1 big db, or several
> > > smaller one ).
> >
> > 1 per language.
>
> Good.
> Can I also remind that we try to use postgresql everywhere, and that
> would be nice to keep it this way ( mediawiki does support it, so that's
> just to remind when doing the test ) ?

O.k., not a problem. That would mean a second variable that changes between
the wikis, but it's doable without a problem.

> > > 3) is this : 1 big wiki instance, or several smaller one ?
> >
> > Depends how you set it up. @ Mandriva, we had a single code instance,
> > and small custom config files (1 per locale).
>
> I would favor this too because that's seems simpler.
That's what I did on my test instance. I think it makes updating easier.

> > > Do we ever plan to have wiki not linked to language content ? ( like
> > > per team wiki, or that will be section on the english one ? )
> >
> > I did not understand this one. :)
>
> Ie, there will be only wiki/en, wiki/de, wiki/pt ?
>
> No wiki/team/sysadmin/ , or something like that, or per project wiki if
> any ?
Does this make a change to the configuration?

Oliver