[Mageia-sysadm] Starting packages import in Mageia svn

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Wed Jan 12 01:56:11 CET 2011

Le mercredi 12 janvier 2011 à 01:26 +0100, Olivier Blin a écrit :
> Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> writes:
>
> > Easier to sort, easier to do select ( like showing just the package of a
> > maintainer without selecting the whole listing of rpm, and doig lots of
> > I/O )
> >
> > It would spread the load amongst server (I/O wise again), it would use a
> > proper indexing system, as the main part of the job of the status page
> > is to find the list of job by getting all inodes from some predefined
> > directory.
>
> I'm not sure the current way requires too much I/O, if the main BS
> interface just lists the contents of the ~schedbot/uploads/ directories.
> It's what urli + emi are doing as well, and it's extremely likely to be
> cached when the BS interface tries to browser the tree.

Well, kenobi was quite heavy on I/O ( recreate the srpm ), and we are
hosting the main mirror here too, along with svn server.

> Check for yourself at http://pkgsubmit.mageia.org/
>
> Sure, a db is certainly more efficient, but more complex to code, and
> prone to inconsistencies between the db state and tree state.

Well, the idea could be to no longer keep the state in the tree. That
would however mean more ind epth change, so that's a valid remark, yes.

i do not advocate to change right now, but now we do have a easy way to
replicate the BS, we can think of testing change, etc.