[Mageia-sysadm] Forum VM needs

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Wed Jan 12 22:37:34 CET 2011

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011, Maât wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> As it seems VM creation takes a little bit of time due to people being under heavy load at work Anne and misc considered the option of creation the Xen VM on one of our servers (we could migrate the VM on atalante later)
>
> For that misc asked for Forum needs...
>
> For the beginning i'll consider that we are going to put everything on the same machine (DB and PHP). This is not rally brilliant to virtualize DB servers but i guess this will not kill the VM in the first monthes as the tables will not be big.
>
> So phpBB needs a LAMP Stack : Apache + PHP5 + MysSQL5 (it prefers to have MySQLi extention)

Do you know if it would be possible to use Postgresql instead of MySQL ?
We already have a Postgresql server running on alamut that we could use.

> And we'll need with php the optional :
> -- zlib compression (better having it)
> -- remote ftp support (well... i'm not in favor even if documentation asks for it)
> -- XML support (better having it)
> -- Image Magick support (better having it)
> -- GD support (same as Image magick)

Do you have a list of packages needed ? Or config files to change ?

> For source management git will be used... so we'll need it too :)

Why do you need source management ? What would be hosted in this
source repository exactly ?

Do you need modifications in phpBB sources ?

If that's only for configuration files, we can host them on puppet svn
and deploy them with puppet.

Can we have access to the sources, list of changes (if changes are
needed), and configuration files somewhere ?

If a source management is needed, I would use Mageia svn for now, and
later an other source management software when it is setup on Mageia
servers.