[Mageia-sysadm] Viewvc installation

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Wed Jan 26 20:15:31 CET 2011

Le lundi 24 janvier 2011 à 14:46 +0100, Michael Scherer a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> since people have asked for it since a long time, and since no much
> people commented on viewvc vs websvn
> ( https://www.mageia.org/pipermail/mageia-sysadm/2011-January/002145.html ), and so based on the fact that websvn run svn to get information ( thus would potentially overload the server when google bot team with yahoo to explore the server and our patches ), I have setup viewvc.
>
> I can also setup websvn if someone really need, but a quick check showed
> that both tools are quite similar in term of features, the only
> difference being the usage of svn commandline.
>
> There is 2 questions left ( with a default answer with a timeout of 2
> days ) :
> - what should be the name ( svn.mageia.org cannot be used, as it point
> to a different server, a redirect can be setup to another url
> however ) ?
> ( default answer : viewvc.mageia.org )

So for now, the proposal :
websvn
svnweb
svn-browse
vc
codeview
svn

svn is a no-go, for reasons exposed before.

vc and codeview should IMHO be kept for something that is not svn
specific, and viewvc is ( unless we go back to cvs, of course... ). I
would love to have a codeview that point to svn/git/whatever +
instructions or something like that ( like a coder portal ), so running
viewvc on that vhost do not seems a good idea. Ie, it would waste a good
name for something too specific. So I would in favor of not using them.

websvn is the name of another software to view svn repository. We all
agree to not use viewvc for the vhost, so using websvn seems rather
couter intuitive.

this let us with svn-browse vs svnweb. svnweb is shorter, and do not
have a hyphen so it is easier to type.

So svnweb ?

Ie :

svnweb -> point to viewvc

svn -> redirect on svnweb ( later, if enough people complain about
this )

vc/codeview/later -> some portal that explain where to find code, how to
get it, licensing, etc ?   ( later )

So anybody has something else to add ( or strongly disagree and can give
convincing reasons ) ?