[Mageia-sysadm] changing binrepos

Carlos Carvalho carlos at fisica.ufpr.br
Wed Jul 13 22:11:46 CEST 2011

nicolas vigier (boklm at mars-attacks.org) wrote on 13 July 2011 18:09:
 >I think current binrepos is not really perfect :
 >
 >- Using separate repository for each release require having multiple
 >  copies of some files
 >- removing old binary files from history is easier than before, but
 >  still not very simple
 >- Using the same directory structure as packages (with current and
 >  releases directories) in binrepos is not very usefull I think
 >
 >So I think we could replace binrepos svn with something like this :
 >
 >- on valstar, a script to upload a file, accessed by ssh using "mgarepo
 >  upload". The script saves all files in the same directory, using
 >  sha1sum for the filename.

Having a single directory tree for all versions instead of separating
releases in different trees is better; that's what Debian does. One of
the advantages is that it allows a single file to be part of more than
one release and avoids a lot of hardlinking, which is error-prone.

I'm not sure that this is what you're suggesting, sorry if not. I
don't follow in detail the distro-specific issues.