[Mageia-sysadm] Tx upgrade

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Sun Jul 17 09:56:31 CEST 2011

Le samedi 16 juillet 2011 à 12:33 +0200, Michael Scherer a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> as asked by i18n team since some weeks, I propose we upgrade transifex
> on alamut to the latest stable release ( 1.1 ) :
>
> https://mageia.org/pipermail/mageia-i18n/2011-June/002070.html
>
> The steps required are :
>
> - Create a package of django-haystack 1.2
done
For info, haystack is a django module to enable search engine in django
application, such as transifex.

> - Create a package of tx 1.1
done

> - Create a package of pysolr

this one is gonna be more tricky. Solr is a lucene reimplementation
written in java. That's a full blow search engine, built on jetty and a
standard jre, so I am not keen on going this way ( unless a java expert
tell me it is not gonna be a nightmare to package ).

Alternatives are :
- disable search on tx
- use xapian
- use woosh

Woosh ( that I didn't know until today ) is less complete than solr and
xapian. Given the haystack documentation, it may not be useful for
transifex ( as it will likely try to provides suggestion, a feature
called by haystack "more like it" ). But it should be simple to package.

Xapian requires some specific module for haystack, and would offer
enough features. It is written in c++.

On a side note, xapian is what is used by madb, so it will likely be
maintained and tested.

I suggest to look at xapian for starting, unless someone say otherwise.

Any comments ?