[Mageia-sysadm] Databases down?

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Mon May 30 11:37:54 CEST 2011

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 10:59, Thierry Vignaud
<thierry.vignaud at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28 May 2011 22:02, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
>>> Long term solutions would be :
>>> - having a second mirrored ldap server in the other datacenter
>> irrelevent to the sympa issue we are talking about, and as said in the
>> blog, and on the others lists, this is already planned since some months
>>
>>> - as for svn, maybe having a second realtime mirrored server. the ip
>>> would be a virtual one
>>>   and we could switch on issues (hard to do)
>> Or we can use git :)
>
> That enables to still work in good conditions :-), but not to publish
> new versions and to release new packages :-(

No, but at least it helps a little while others are working on fixing
the servers.

On the same line, would it be a good idea to try to totally decouple
the release production servers (stable releases RPMs, updates, ISOs,
services) from development servers (build system, dev
packages/updates/ISOs mirrors, etc.) so that if one fails, the other
is not directly impacted?

That requires more money (we can provision that), more work and some
more duplication and tricks to manage sync/push from dev to prod but
this would as well help not impacting users while the dev factory
would be down, and reciprocally.

Of course, that's a naive guess/idea/question so far.

Romain