[Mageia-sysadm] possibility to add a package in basesystem-minimal? (long)

Pascal Terjan pterjan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 18:42:02 CET 2011

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 08:36, Jerome Quelin <jquelin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/11/09 20:41 +0200, Thomas Backlund wrote:
>> I see basesystem-minimal pulls only:
>> perl-File-Sync
>> perl-MDK-Common
>> perl-WWW-Curl
>> perl-base
>>
>> do we have some perl-* package that is required for all perl developers,
>> but that is not some of the above?
>
> plenty - but that's another discussion. i mean, programming is perl is
> mainly assembling lots of cpan packages to achieve what you want to do.
> on my machine, i have installed all perl modules, and i think i'm using
> around ~70% of them (either directly or through dependencies).

I think this is actually the discussion.

basesystem-minimal is for things that are needed by any user creating
the smallest possible chroot and we try to limit what is required
(hence the name).

If you only want to be sure it is available when building any rpm,
rpm-build is probably a good place

If this is required for some scripts in rpm-mageia-setup or
rpm-mageia-setup-build to work correctly, the dependency should
probably be there

If you want it to be installed whenever you build a perl package, the
dependency should be on something which will always be installed when
building a perl-package (rpm-build will be, but it's better if you can
find something more specific)