[Mageia-sysadm] New hardware for mageia servers

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Mon Oct 3 16:11:04 CEST 2011

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011, Damien Lallement wrote:

> Le 01/10/2011 19:24, nicolas vigier a écrit :
>> Hello,
>>
>> Here is a summary of all hardware that we should buy for next trip to
>> Marseille datacenter.
>>

>> [...]
>>
>> - new disk to replace failing disks on ecosse and on valstar, and 2 new
>>    disks for build nodes (raid1 for system fs, raid0 for build filesystem
>>    for improved performances), and a disk for the ARM board :
>>    2TB (valstar) + 1TB * 4 =>  169.99 + 4 * 84.99 = 509.95 euros
>>    http://www.materiel.net/disque-dur-3-5-pouces/western-digital-re4-s-ata-2-to-64-mo-52965.html
>>    http://www.materiel.net/disque-dur-3-5-pouces/western-digital-re4-s-ata-1-to-64-mo-62975.html
>>    WD RE4 drives are more expensive than Caviar Black, but seems to be
>>    better if we want less disk failures.
>
> Remember that WD Caviar Black are guaranteed for 5 years. I will send them
> back to WD. So we will have new Caviar Black for spare.

Yes.

>> - backup server : we need a server with a lot of disk space, to save
>>    data from other servers. Fast CPU or a lot of ram is not needed on
>>    this server.
>>    dams suggested buying this server :
>>    http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=sv4r415&c=fr&l=fr&s=bsd&cs=frbsdt1&model_id=poweredge-r415
>>    899 euros
>>    adding :
>>      * Redundant power supply (132 euros)
>>      * 4 * 1TB disks (4 * 332 euros)
>>    Total: 2 261 euros
>>    So total is quite expensive. An other solution could be to buy a cheap
>>    computer that one of us keep at home/office, doing remote backups. Or
>>    maybe we can find someone to donate a server, so that we only need to
>>    buy disks for the server. Maybe we can ask for hardware donations for
>>    this server on mageia-dev and/or blog ?
>
> Not expensive for my POV as is a new brand machine: if it fails in the
> first years, no need to buy spare and go to Marseille! Renting a server for

But can they replace the server in Marseille without us going there ? It
seems difficult.

If we buy an old server at 200 euros, even if we need to replace it 3
times, it would still be cheaper than 2000 euros.

> the same time than the guarantee will cost the same (or even better as GB
> are really expensive when renting) thing for a single "rent".
>
>> - server for packagers, to host VMs used to test package builds. This
>>    needs to be a fast server, with a lot of RAM. Should we buy an
>>    expensive server for this now ? Or wait until we have more money, or
>>    someone donate a server for this ? Or rent a server at 60 euros /
>>    month on online.net ?
>>

> A guy from the community offer to rent
> http://www.online.net/serveur-dedie/offre-dedibox-classic.xhtml
> Can it suit packagers need (local build machine)?
> If not enough for packagers build test machine, we know that we will have
> this "dedibox" available for something else!
> If no need, we will put the 35€ per month on a other expense.

We need a server for packagers. But preferably something fast as multiple
people will be building packages at the same time. So the server at 60
euros per month would be better. Or we can buy a dell server with
12 cores, 32GB for 2200 euros :
http://www.hupstream.com/~boklm/mageia/server-packagers.pdf