[Mageia-sysadm] [council] A new server to replace rabbit.mageia.org

Anne Nicolas ennael1 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 15:01:13 CEST 2012

Le 26/06/2012 17:56, Damien Lallement a écrit :
> Hi folks,

Hi there

> As you know, rabbit.mageia.org was offered to Mageia.Org.
> This gift is now over and we need to find a way to replace this server
> ASAP as alpha of Mageia 3 is not so far...ime i

I'm also guilty but still we need a decision very quickly. dedibox offer
will end in the beginning og august but we need to close it down 3 weeks
before. Alpha 1 is planned for 4th of september and we need to have
server ready 2 weeks before. So time is *short*

> FYI, we had:
> http://www.online.net/serveur-dedie/offre-dedibox-professionnel-dell.xhtml
> If we keep this, it will cost 60 € Tax Included per month.
> So, 720 € for a year.
> During Mageia 1 and Mageia 2 release process, Anne et Thomas encountered
> big troubles like: very very long time to generate ISO and to use the
> server for live and DVD at the same time.

Indeed. Live cds build was done during night as it takes several hours.
1 DVD iso took about 20 minutes which seems to be fast but very long
when you are in the middle of a release and you need short build times
to test some fixes.

> The bad points of the server we had were:
> - "small" and old CPU as it was a "green" and old server
> - big IO trouble as HDD are in SATA only
> The good points were:
> - 16 GB of RAM
> - 2x2TB of HDD
> - HW raid
>
> I checked Lenovo, HP and Dell to have a server to replace this box.
> Dell is cheaper than the two others!
>
> I made a configuration with a Dell PowerEdge R210-II:
> - CPU: 1 x Intel Xeon E3-1240: 4C/8T, 3,30 GHz, 8M Cache
> - RAM: 16GB
> - HDD controller: Dell H200 (hardware raid)
> - HDD: 2 x 600GB, SAS 6Gbps, 3"5 15k (in RAID 0) Careful: can't add more
> HDD! If we choose, the backpane for 4HDD, HDD will be 10k instead of
> 15k... Add adding SSD on our side will break Dell warranty...
> - iDRAC6 Express (impi)
> Cost: ~1900 €*
> * last time, for sucuk, Dell sent me a 15% of rabate. So I think, I will
> have 15% once again... So it will make a server for ~1600 €
>
> The only issue I can see is the HDD.
> For now, on rabbit:
> [root at rabbit ~]# du -shc /home/*
> 189G /home/bcd
> 63M /home/blino
> 110M /home/boklm
> 32K /home/colin
> 36K /home/dams
> 44K /home/dmorgan
> 367G /home/draklive
> 3.7G /home/ennael
> 16K /home/lost+found
> 24K /home/mageia
> 76K /home/mirror
> 101G /home/misc
> 36K /home/nanardon
> 19G /home/pterjan
> 19G /home/tmb
> 698G total
> [root at rabbit ~]# df
> /dev/sda1 9.7G 4.2G 5.1G 46% /
> /dev/mapper/rabbit-distrib
> 496G 368G 103G 79% /distrib
> /dev/mapper/rabbit-home
> 886G 698G 144G 83% /home
> /dev/mapper/rabbit-libvirtd
> 33G 315M 33G 1% /var/lib/libvirt/images
> [root at rabbit ~]#
>
> So, the question is: "can you make live/DVD with 'only' 1,2 TB?" :-)
> WDYT about this proposal?

I guess it's possible we can make copies of old builds in another file
system stored on non SSD disk.

I'm ok with this proposal :)

--
Anne