[Mageia-sysadm] [council] A new server to replace rabbit.mageia.org

Damien Lallement mageia at damsweb.net
Thu Jul 5 17:10:05 CEST 2012

Le 04/07/2012 20:54, Thomas Backlund a écrit :

> Damien Lallement skrev 26.6.2012 18:56:
>  > Hi folks,
>  >
>  > As you know, rabbit.mageia.org was offered to Mageia.Org.
>  > This gift is now over and we need to find a way to replace this server
>  > ASAP as alpha of Mageia 3 is not so far...
>  >

> Do we still have rackspace in Marseille datacenter ?

For 1U, yes. But, a new mail is comming as the idea is to change ecosse
at the same time for 1U instead of 2U.

>  > FYI, we had:
>  >
> http://www.online.net/serveur-dedie/offre-dedibox-professionnel-dell.xhtml
>  > If we keep this, it will cost 60 € Tax Included per month.
>  > So, 720 € for a year.
>  > During Mageia 1 and Mageia 2 release process, Anne et Thomas encountered
>  > big troubles like: very very long time to generate ISO and to use the
>  > server for live and DVD at the same time.
>  >
>  > The bad points of the server we had were:
>  > - "small" and old CPU as it was a "green" and old server
>  > - big IO trouble as HDD are in SATA only
>  > The good points were:
>  > - 16 GB of RAM
>  > - 2x2TB of HDD
>  > - HW raid
>  >
>  > I checked Lenovo, HP and Dell to have a server to replace this box.
>  > Dell is cheaper than the two others!
>  >
>  > I made a configuration with a Dell PowerEdge R210-II:
>  > - CPU: 1 x Intel Xeon E3-1240: 4C/8T, 3,30 GHz, 8M Cache
>
> Compressing livecds on rabbit had no problem of maxing out all
> 4C/8T available ...
> (but as theese are almost double the speed of current
>   rabbit ones I guess it can be ok)

If rabbit is too powerfull, why not using it to rebuild distro once a
month to check dep and errors...

>  > - RAM: 16GB
>
> An other way to speed up builds is to add more ram, and build in tmpfs

Ok, we can put 24GB but more is very very very expensive.

>  > - HDD controller: Dell H200 (hardware raid)
>
> but no cache, and apparently  not capable of doing raid split on same
> disks.

Ok, I made a new configuration, it's RAID 1 with a H710 with 512MB of cache.

>  [...]

Thanks for your feedback, let me mail the new proposal. :-)
--
Damien Lallement
twitter: damsweb - IRC: damsweb/coincoin