[Mageia-sysadm] New Bugzilla maintainer?

Marja van Waes marja11 at xs4all.nl
Mon Jun 11 08:17:15 CEST 2012

Hi everyone,

Frédéric Buclin is willing to become our new Bugzilla maintainer :)

D. Morgan said he is not against that, and that we could talk about it
today.

A bit more about Frédéric (LpSolit) for who doesn't know him:
He maintains GCC Bugzilla, is part of the upstream Bugzilla team and has
always been very willing to help us with advice on Bugzilla issues.

Frédéric has explained that his offer is only valid if he can use the
upstream code from bzr, not the Bugzilla RPM. If that's not possible,
then he is not interested in maintaining it, because, in his words: "A
RPM is always behind, has its own hacks, and upstream patches cannot be
applied as is."

I told him I can understand something like our different setup (see the
.spec of our Bugzilla package) wouldn't make life easier: he'd have to
be aware when working on the Mageia Bugzilla and forget when working on
GCC bugzilla or doing things upstream.

He then added:

"Not only that, but every time we update the Bugzilla RPM,
customizations made to Mageia Bugzilla would be lost, while bzr is able
to apply changes without altering customizations (unless they heavily
conflict, of course)."

I asked Nicolas about sysadmin policies that might apply and he answered
that there isn't a rule for everything, but that things are discussed on
the ml before being done.

So, because of that and because DMorgan suggested talking today about
having Frédéric for maintainer, now starting this discussion on this
mailing list :)

Cheers,
Marja