[Mageia-sysadm] Upgrading champagne and krampouezh to Mageia

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Mon Jun 25 18:27:19 CEST 2012

Hello,

Two of our servers, champagne and krampouezh are VMs which are hosted by
gandi. Those servers are still running Mandriva 2010.0. So it would be
nice to upgrade them to Mageia (1 or 2).

However we are not sure that Mageia 1 or 2 is working without problems
on Gandi VMs. So it would be safer to try it in a new VM first,
upgrading from Mandriva 2010.0 to Mageia 1 and Mageia 2. It's possible
to rent a new VM for 2 days, for around 1 euro :
https://www.gandi.net/hosting/proposal/price/

After checking this, we need to do the migration.

champagne is used for :
- websites (www, hugs, releases, nav, doc, start, dashboard, blog)

krampouezh is used for :
- mysql server for blog
- secondary mail server
- secondary dns server
- meetbot irc bot

So to do the migration we do this :
- update DNS TTL to be able to do quick changes
- migrate all websites that don't use mysql to alamut temporarly,
  disable blog with a maintainance page
- upgrade champagne to Mageia 1, then Mageia 2
- migrate websites from alamut to champagne
- upgrade krampouezh to Mageia 1, then Mageia 2
- enable blog again

Other solution could be :
- install 2 new VMs, migrate them to Mageia 2
- migrate everything from champagne and krampouezh to the new VMs
- when migration is done, switch DNS to the new VMs
- remove the old VMs

What do you think ?