[Mageia-sysadm] [forums-discuss] Re: updating sysadmin privileges in forum config

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 21 23:34:24 CET 2012

2012/3/21 Florian Hubold <doktor5000 at arcor.de>:
> Am 21.03.2012 20:39, schrieb Maât:
>>> Steps taken so far (removing one level of indirection):
>>>   * Sysadmins group:
>>>     - removed;
>>>   * Administrators group:
>>>     - added sysadmin members who have not bee inactive for too long; I
>>> still didn't look up full sysadmins list for that, but this can now be
>>> managed by them directly;
>>>     - added boklm as leader;
>>>     - removed ash who has not been active in the forum and the project
>>> for several months;
>>>     - don't know what to do with forumadmin user (neither what it's for);
>> It's the first user created at install: it was used to create the other
>> admins with forum-founder bit set up (included yours)
>>
>> This account should not be used except for crash recovery or things like that
>> (login impossible until ldap connexion is disengaged or an matching user is
>> created in LDAP directory)
>>
>>>   * Moderators group:
>>>     - demoted ash from leadership for the same reason.
>>>
>>> (as a reminder, this is not going to change at all how forum
>>> moderators already operate).
>>>
>>> So now:
>>>   - sysadmin members can organize to manage, update and answer forum
>>> admin&  moderators, from code to deployment to online config;
>>>   - it's up to a volunteer to get the forum admin role and coordinate
>>> with moderators and sysadmins; s/he will have to be promoted in
>>> Administrators and Moderators groups;
>>>   - all groups, you decide then how you operate for the best.
>>>
>>> r.
>>
>> There are 2 things that were not adressed :
>>
>>  * Separation of forum administration on several "roles" which... oh
>>    well forget about it... saying it once more will only demoralize
>>    me... so let's do as if i did say nothing :-/
>>  * Lack of PHP/PHPBB coding skills... Once that solved i'd fear to see
>>    mongers and python experts reviewing PHPBB hacks... by the way
>>    testing them in a testbed without a copy of the real database...
>>    pushing them blindly with git and asking if a sysadmin could find 2
>>    minutes to push them on the actives forums... waiting for the
>>    mail/whatever notification to click on the interfaces (of each... a
>>    chance we have only 2 of them) and run the update process (praying
>>    god that everything will go as expected because the rollback given
>>    this way of doing things is just something that you don't want to
>>    get into)
>>
>> That's what i already pointed... half an admin... bound and distrusted... as
>> useful as the ties allow to be (iow not very much).
>
> Sorry, just can't resist. You wrote in the other mail:
>
>> I already explained that separating these roles would bring no good... a pure
>> "interface forum admin" is an emasculated admin... nearly useless. Without
>> the ability of administrating the database at a low level adding indexes for
>> tuning, optimizing cache and that sort of things, getting data from apache
> [...]

Not much to add to this.
maât, you haven't understood it many months ago, I'm not surprised
that you don't understand it now. Setting up a forum can be done by
somebody like you or any other guy with the necessary technical
knowledge. Being a real admin in a forum involves more than that
technical knowledge.

But i'll refrain to go on about this, to save me from dieing of boredom.

--
wobo