[Mageia-sysadm] About the old HDDs we changed in February

Damien Lallement mageia at damsweb.net
Thu Mar 22 17:44:10 CET 2012

Hi Team!

FYI, I tested the three HDD we removed with rtp, misc, boklm and I when
we went to Marseille in February. The test was to send HDD to Western
Digital for an exchange (5y waranty).
I used:
- smartctl --test=long /dev/sdX
- UBCD and Western Digital tool for extended Smart test and low format

In fact... The three HDD are safe! None is having issue as smartmontools
was reporting it on ecosse or valstar...
My idea is that the Mandriva kernel was having an issue reporting smart
info or the controler of the servers was having problems.
But if it was the second option, why don't we have smart error anymore
now with Mageia 1 and new HDDs?

So, the old HDD are now part of Mageia.Org spare hardware.
- WD1002FAEX
- WD1002FAEX
- WD2001FASS

I will launch a full smart test tomorrow on all the HDDs of our BS.
I will keep you in touch if something is going wrong.

Dams
--
Damien Lallement
twitter: damsweb - IRC: damsweb/coincoin