[Mageia-sysadm] [forums-discuss] Re: updating sysadmin privileges in forum config

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 26 19:21:26 CEST 2012

2012/3/26 Marja van Waes <marja11 at xs4all.nl>:

> Wel, it helps if people file a bug report when they suffer from those
> "normal" bugs. We don't vote for bugs in our bugzilla, but the more users
> report a bug, the more chance it gets fixed.
>
> But even then nothing is guaranteed, because the people who fix bugs , push
> upgrades, etc. here are human beings, with limited time, capabilities, and
> so on, even security fixes sometimes don't get done fast, in spite of
> everyone doing his best.
>
> We have a bug report (#40) about an upgrade that would fix several bugs,
> including several security fixes, some of the last were already mentioned in
> the report in august last year by the upstream maintainer.
>
> Having the report there helps as a reminder and I'm sure upgrading will be
> done, but the report also shows that it is good to have limited expectations
> about how fast we are.

As explained several times, you can't mix bug fixing for mageia
packages with bug fixing of phpBB. First we do not have a phpBB3
package. Second:  updating the couple of hundred files with all
100+something bugs would be some work. Third: if we would have a
package, still it needs to be unpacked and all the bug fixes must be
checked and integrated into the single files and then packed. This way
or that, all this only in case we still trust the "zip from some
website" (as Michael put it). If we don't we would have to find our
bug fixes on our own, in other words: that one or two php-savvy people
(if we find so many for the forum software) would have to do what a
large team at phpBB does. Or look how Debian does it (do they trust
phpbb?).

But this is something else and there are people who know much better than I.

--
wobo