[Mageia-webteam] Forum installation (almost) complete

Maât maat-ml at vilarem.net
Tue Feb 22 21:41:28 CET 2011

Le 22/02/2011 16:09, Michael Scherer a écrit :
> Le mardi 22 février 2011 à 15:08 +0100, Maât a écrit :
>> Le 22/02/2011 13:42, Michael Scherer a écrit :
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> So thanks to the work of Maat and ashledombos, we do have :
>>> - a git repository on git://git.mageia.org/forum/ ( write access :
>>> ssh://git.mageia.org/git/forum/ for them, as they requested ). Filled
>>> with what was sent to me last week.
>>>
>>> - the friteuse vm that hold the forum is hosted on alamut, for the
>>> moment, with a reverse proxy, on both http and https
>>>
>> We'll need perhaps to force a redirection for http to https (dunno is phpbb works well with both ways)
> Well, I didn't want to force everybody just reading to go the https way.
>
> But that's a tricky problem to solve.
>
>>> - I had to remove ./install/, as asked by phpbb who refused to work. I
>>> do not know if there was something needed, it is still in git, just
>>> removed on the snapshot with rm ( I kept in git to ease the merge of
>>> code later ).
>>>
>> an other approach is to rename install -> noinstall and prevent completely access to noinstall with apache deny
>>
>> -> when we need to use again install a move noinstall -> install sets back the forum to maintenance mode
>>
>> (for better security controlling access to install with an ip whitelist or even a http based login against ldap would be nice)
> http based login seems easier to manage. ip based whitelist is usually
> bad the day you discover something urgent need to be done and you
> cannot.
>
> Now, what is in install/ that would be used later ?

Nearly every upgrade coming with a change of version number... and more generally every upgrade needing to change things in database.

>>> [...]
> [...]
>> If we don't use .htaccess then all these configs need to be moved to apache vhost config
> IMHO, that's safer.

Ok but we'll probably need to change rewrite rules from time to time...

=> problems to expect sooner or later

>>> - IMHO, a clearer separation of code and theme should be done, as for
>>> now, we do have everything in the same git repository
>>>
>> Ok but how ?
> That's up to you to tell me. I see 2 possibility :
> - 2 repositories ( one for code, one for theme ), with different access
> right
> - coordination with the web team for that ( ie decide when the code is
> ready and when the theme is, and deploy accordingly ). Using 2 branch
> could maybe help.
>
> It seems to me that trying to decouple both would be better, but that's
> twice the admin work, and coordination is still required.

/me's perplex

> ( speaking of that, I also have to arrange a way to upgrade the code by
> manual intervention and so on, I didn't forget )

>> yes... at registration could be done but the created account would not be able to log in
> IMHO, that mean the db will quickly be filled by spam bots.

That's forumadmins job to avoid such mess and if needed to adapt configs

But you're right : we need to quickly change link to push users willing to create accounts to identity web app

>>> - prepare the migration to the vm at nfrance ( once it is ready ). This
>>> will requires some adjustments to some puppet modules, as we assumed
>>> that only one db server would be used.
>>>
>> ph34r the distance between db server (Marseille) and forum (Toulouse)
> That's why we need a adjustment, I have started to rework the pgsql
> module for that, but that's not as urgent as others tasks ( as deploying
> wiki, bittorrent, etc )
>
> ( otoh, as phpbb seems to have a rather aggressive cache system, maybe
> this will not be as horrible as it seems, or at least, this would be
> sufficient for the start ).
It will also depend on the amount of buzz around mageia and of users willing to subscribe and get in :)