[Mageia-webteam] Webteam peers, bootstrapping

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 14:27:05 CET 2011

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 13:19, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
> Le jeudi 06 janvier 2011 à 12:09 +0100, Romain d'Alverny a écrit :
>> What do peers have that non-peers do not?
>> [...]
> How are access to $VCS will be handled ?
>
> The possibility of having access to server to either read logs or run
> some limited commands was also asked, how would it articulate with this
> scheme ?

I had written a § about it but thought it was too early here. Anyway,
here are my thoughts:

 * VCSes:
   - read access for everyone (peers & non-peers);
   - write access for:
     - webmasters (specific role, see below)
     - app manager, who should in turn be able to provide a write
access to other peers (developers), on demand? if that's possible
     - or for all peers, with each developer/app manager having a
careful look at what happens.
     - or maybe it can be app-specific (depending on the app-criticity)
     - of course, something making push/merge requests possible could
help (writable only by manager+webmasters, leaving everyone else push
changes to be merged after review)

 * server logs:
   - read access to webmasters
   - some limited commands? what type? rsync/svn/git types?

 * server deployment:
   - staging from a branch available to all peers
   - production push from staging available to webmasters only

Webmasters are necessarily peers; they do master the whole websites,
deploy into production with the assistance of app developers (in
short, with sysadm, they are the ones having the production-push
button and the ability to check on logs). Of course, this requires
webmasters & sysadm to go along well. So sysadm would have at least a
consultative say on who can become a webmaster.

At this time, this role is managed by (non-sysadm people): me and
damsweb for blog/www (editorial stuff), I believe all the rest is
pushed by sysadm at this time.

Advice?

Romain