[Mageia-webteam] Maintainers db app questions

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Mon Jan 24 19:37:48 CET 2011

Le lundi 24 janvier 2011 à 18:07 +0000, Kosmas Chatzimichalis a écrit :
> A few questions about the maintainers db application, that are more detailed
> than the initial spec.
>

>    - Do we need first name, surname for maintainers or we would only be
>    using email?

mhh, what about login + email ?
I do not fully understand the question

>    - If we do store first name, surname are they compulsory, or can be
>    omitted?
I would rather fetch them from ldap, or at least, make ldap the
reference for that, and keep the information in the db as cache, so
people have one location to change everything.

>    - Where do we take the information from? Is there a database at the
>    moment, that we can take maintainers, packages information?
We don't have anything yet.

>    - If information is taken initially from another database, where is the
>    new information created? Or in other words, do we create new media,
>    maintainer, package in the app or is that created somewhere else?
A good question.
Maintainers list come from ldap.

Media should IMHO be not required, but if needed, I would rather have a
list somewhere acting as a reference. ( maybe ldap ? ). Some people
spoke of having different maintainers for stable and devel, but I do not
think we are enough to have that.

Packages are not stored anywhere yet, and I do not know if someone
planned something. But packages would likely be created on upload by a
script, with the people uploading becoming the maintainer.

>    - How do we integrate with ldap?
for authentication I think

> Would that be used to lookup for
>    administration permissions for maintainers? Or would we need different users
>    as admins that are not necessarily maintainers.
I would use the following permissions :
- define a group for people who can connect on the interface ( like,
packagers )
- define a group that can connect as admin ( like be able to change
anything, ie sysadmins )

That was the scheme used at Mandriva, and I think it is sufficient,
So yes, using ldap for admin permission is a good idea.

>    - Would the first maintainer be the admin for a particular package?
That could be done, yes but some people would maybe prefer more than 1
admin, or shared admins with everybody. I can ask during meeting on
Wednesday the opinion of others packagers.

>    - Can the admin of a package be changed later on?
That's imho required, yes.

--
Michael Scherer