[Mageia-webteam] Questions about the forum

Maât maat-ml at vilarem.net
Wed Mar 23 00:55:06 CET 2011

Le 22/03/2011 19:02, Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :
> 2011/3/22 Romain d'Alverny <rdalverny at gmail.com>:
>> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 17:07, Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> I thought this was going to be communicated to the people who belong
>>> to such groups anyway (founders, translators). There's also a number
>>> of people who registered their names in the wiki page as
>>> helpers/moderators in the community forum. Like "Hey, we are ready to
>>> open the forum, we are needing moderators for the following
>>> sections:..... Pls answer if you want to help us."
>> Right. But we didn't announce the forum yet (lack of time/focus on
>> this so far). Shall we do it before the global announce? (I think so).
> 1. Foreign language forums
> I guess there will be more requests for foreign language forums like
> the German to be included in the same way as it is with the french
> forum in Mandriva. That's what I asked in last council meeting when
> maat said, it's ok. :)

Yup the forum infra has been thought to host several $lang...

as .de is a lang... ^^

> We should also start a line of links to available Mageia forums in
> other languages, be they included in the main forum or external
> communities. To build our Mageia universe. I think this should be
> started from the very beginning so people can watch how this Mageia
> universe grows whenever a new link is added. We can do this by
> language name or flag, while IMHO language name is better because
> there languages spoken in more than one country (English, French,
> German, etc.).

Yup... with just one $lang this was not needed but with .de on its way we will have to fulfill this need

> 2. Communities forums
> I am not really happy with these links in "Communities forums". As
> already said, they are leading to Mandriva forums anyway and we should
> first ask those people how they would like it to be:
>  - keep their existing forum for both groups, Mandriva and Mageia
>  - open up their own forum for Mageia (like mandrivausers.org/mageiausers.org)
>  - start a new forum for Mageia inside the main Mageia forum.
> Of course we can place links to existing Mandriva communities
> somewhere, in many cases these communities are the sources where our
> new Mageia community comes from. And they bear a whealth of
> information, documentation and other help which will benefit Mageia
> users for a long time from now.
>
> Then I think these links are misplaced anyway. They are hidden in the
> forum structure but they are not subforums as shown, they are links to
> external forums. IMHO a better place for such links to community
> forums would be the header section (as in Mandriva forum) or wherever,
> but not within the english forum structure. People looking for the
> spanish or german community forums will not scan the english forum
> structure to find such links.

I used the easiest way and quickest way to add links

We need to create something like a dynamic common shared menu. This will come with graphical common design for mageia websites.

=> officiel $lang forums and communities will have their place in this (And before that we could try to pay badly with templates to add hard-coded links)

But this will be time consuming and was not high in priorities :)

> 3. Moderators, announcements
> People have registered their name in the wiki, so IMHO we should
> acknowledge their commitment by asking them to fill vacancies (do we
> have any?) before we announce the forum.

Up to now the best way that proved to be effective to find good moderators was to pick up people that did not ask to be that and choose them for the qualities of their posts and behavior on the forum... and recruit them only if unanimously accepted by all the active moderators.

This is needed because moderators have to help each other to face trolls and flamewars so we need them to work as a cohesive team.

As the forum did not exist i could not use this method... so i relied on Ash experience to choose a handful of moderators for a start.

Next moderators will be recruited gradually with the increase of the forums's hearing... and i'd encourage the team to use the pick up method + unanimous approval.

Other people will have extended rights (not yet completely defined) on parts of the forum depending on their activities. The goal being to enable them to rename topics, mark them [resolved], close them and edit posts but not to have them enforce the forum rules (which is the role assigned to moderators)

But we have vacancies to fill : Support team is at this moment empty and we need someone to create it, recruit people and brief them...

(Bug Hunters is also empty but i don't know if this is really needed to have a team for that...)

Regards,

Maât