[Mageia-webteam] Questions about the forum - Part II

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Thu Mar 31 13:05:31 CEST 2011

Le mercredi 30 mars 2011 à 18:08 +0200, Maât a écrit :
> Le 30/03/2011 17:12, Raphaël Jadot a écrit :
> > 2011/3/30 Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com>:
> >> I agree to the necessity of good communication between
> >> moderators/admins. I also suggested to have a hidden moderator/admin
> >> forum where all moderators and admins can share their experiences,
> >> discuss certain issues, and even exchange names of users who popped up
> >> in a positive or negative way.
> >
> > In fact it already exist (moderation under "mageia forums"), but if
> > you ask for it, then you certainly don't see it.
> >
> :)
>
> > Mmm looking for it, maybe permissions are not correctly applied to this forum
> >
> Nope fort this part ACL are correctly defined
>
> This forum is only designed to be used by "global moderators" the we usually call "moderators"
>
> (Other groups may have partial moderation rights enabled so that everybody's life is easier...
> for example translators on the forum dedicated to packaging and translating can edit posts or
> topic so that they have the right to mark a topic as [resolved]" but this is not something
> that make them moderators)

I think that first, we need to make clear about what we talk, because
the concept of group exist already outside of phpbb, and yet, we use the
same word for both.

( like founders in phpbb, that already exist outside and will confuse
users ). So for the sake of proper communication, please be precise.

The example of wobo and the translators group is exactly that.

I would propose to have a organisation that's as simple as possible.

- a group moderators for the whole forums ( ie all forums ), derived
from some ldap group like forum-developers, used for general
administration or stuff like that
- moderators per forum instance ( in our case for english forum ),
sorted in a phpbb group.
- users ( ie everything else )

If you want to have forums were people have some rights, then I would
also prefer for the sake of simplicity of right managements to tie that
with ldap groups.

Ie, that when someone is promoted to become i18n commiters ( see i18n
team organisation ), he then also receive the right on forum in the same
way that this person receive right to commit to svn and to transifex.

This way, we would not have the mess of tracking everything in several
permissions databases, which in turn mean we will have a clearer
documentation and view of the various capabilities of our users.

And this also would help if we decide to vote, as epoll have ldap
integration ( that is quite painful to use at the moment as we need to
give all information again each time ). And this also make sure that
there is no confusion about who decide for what. Ie, the i18n team is
consistently managed.

--
Michael Scherer