[Mageia-webteam] Missing link to forums

Romain d'Alverny rda at mageia.org
Mon May 30 23:01:28 CEST 2011

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 20:12, Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com> wrote:
> The direct link to the forums has been moved from 1st level (links in
> the header of the portal page) to a link inside the text on a second
> level page.

I'm trying to find a good balance for the global navigation. This is
by no means frozen, lots of stuff are moving to prepare Wednesday
release.

If the forum direct link ought to be on the first level everywhere on
mageia.org, so will other items: Wiki - which is nothing specific but
as broad as possible, Bugzilla, donations, mailing-lists, code of
conduct, values, why not svn, etc.  and the global nav will be cludged
pretty fast.

Putting everything at the same level won't make things better focused
and will only confuse visitors.

So putting things organized by main zone is an option, with the
first-level Community item hosting the second-level Forums item. Then,
what would interest people in participating to the project would be to
use the /community landing page as the main entry point.

I understand this is not perfect neither pleases everyone; I asked for
proposals for the global nav design weeks ago, had no answer.

As, anyway, the global nav and the home page structure will change
during the whole launch, I do welcome proposals again.

> A fast and direct access to the forums is as vital for the users (and
> so for us) as the fast and direct link to the download.

Granted. But then we're back to square 1: what's the goal of the
website, and what's the goal of the global navigation (unless one
comes with a local nav scheme).

Romain