[Mageia-artwork] [Mageia-marketing] Splash screens ready

Sebastian sebsebseb sebsebseb_mageia at gmx.com
Fri Mar 9 23:04:46 CET 2012

> I think Esteban's texts are just fine, so it's a matter of choosing the
> right images; and we're going to need another set of images for Mageia
> 3, so having a second set ready to go is not a bad thing!

Well yes that's one idea to have something already for Mageia 3, but
earlier in IRC, Tumberlina, Gaula, and myself, had a chat about making
images that are a cross between Gaula's and Estebans images, have things
from both types of image.

Tumberlina made this image whilst we had our chat to give an idea of
what she meant:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43658233@N06/6821008494/in/photostream

This is what I tried to get Gaula to make as an example for the idea:

1. Esteban's blue border with the Mageia logo on the right, going across
at the bottom of the image.
2. Guala's CD image on the left, with the normal original Mageia logo
that says Mageia and has the logo, or maybe the transparent logo
instead,  in the CD itself at the top.
3. Esteban's information graphic with the installer text, in the centre
of the image or where it looks correct, taking up quite a bit of space
4.  Gaula's Cauldron image on the right or where it looks correct.

I also had the idea for the CD to use an official Mageia 2 CD, but we
don't seem to have one at the moment so hmm.

The artwork freeze is meant to be tomorrow, but it seems going by
Wednesday's packaging meeting that it may be ok to delay it a little bit
if necessary. It would be good to have these installer slideshow images
in Beta 2 which is meant to be released on March 15th, but I would
rather have the images delayed until the release candidate for example,
than have a rush job.

Good artwork in my opinion is very important to have in a Linux
distribution, one reason I don't like Ubuntu that much anymore since
10.04 (or when it was in development sometime), because I really dislike
the newer branding, with the exception of the newer logo, but there was
much more to it than just that, Gnome 2 patching and so on.

Also I really like the Mandriva 2010 series branding for example, and
the 2010 distro versions themselves. The branding alone was enough to
make me install Mandriva and be happy with it compared to many other
distros.

For me default looks are very important when it comes to Linux
distributions.

For Esteban's text I think it could do with some improving, not sure
about saying that it's made by a community of free spirits, but that's
probably ok really.

Also some of it sounds way to company like, by for example saying that
something is the best well kind of for example: Included in Mageia are
the most powerful tools to create raster and vector graphics and 3D
animations.

The most powerful tools that's an opinion not a fact, and companies do
this, try and make people think their product is the most powerful or
the best, when that is an opinion.  So for that text this would be
better instead: Included in Mageia are powerful tools to create raster
and vector graphics, and 3D animations such as The Gimp and Inkscape.
Well The Gimp comes by default I think, but not Inkscape? Altough to get
round the what comes by default, can say what's available instead.

All the tools are available in Mageia for working with documents, and
spreadsheets, that's not really true, So this would be better text
instead for that image:  Working with documents, spreadsheets or
presentations in Mageia can be done using tools such as LibreOffice.

Websites, e-mail, feeds, chat or ftp;  Mageia includes....

Need some changes for that text as well, ftp should be in capitals, and
what kind of feeds? Also again like with the documents Mageia does not
include all the applications for this. Like with the other images should
provide some names of the software available.

Personally I would like to have correct and 100% truly honest installer
text in the slide show :).

 From Sebastian sebsebseb