[Mageia-bugsquad] Teaching inexperienced Bug Squad members

Marja van Waes marja11 at xs4all.nl
Sun Nov 6 09:28:38 CET 2011

*If you received a mail about signing up for the Bug Squad mailing list
this morning, I bcc you now.*

Hi everyone,

Some time ago on this ml,  I tried to find someone who was willing to
look at bugs together with an inexperienced Bug Squad member.

If, at that time, I would have known that the few members we have, are
extremely busy (e.g. in other teams) or inexperienced themselves, I
would never have asked this.

In the meeting yesterday, it was acknowledged that we can't teach new
Bug Squad members, all we can do is encourage them to do what we did
ourselves and what helped us to start triaging, like the things on the
list below. This list will go into a  "How to start triaging" in our new
wiki, anyone who wants to improve it is welcome to do so:

* read bug reports, see how they were handled
* study the triage guide http://www.mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=triage_guide
* study the bug policy http://www.mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=bug_policy
* ask on irc (# mageia-bugsquad, #mageia or #mageia-dev channel) if you
need to know something and don't get frightened if no one replies: in
that case, everybody is too busy or away and someone will reply later
(for you to see the reply, it helps when you stay logged in ;) )
* start trying code etc. from the triage guide for yourself (when and
where appropriate), to see what happens
* learn how to use Sophie http://www.mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=irc#sophie
* look around in upstream Bugzilla's and forums
* feel free to ask questions in this (the mageia-bugsquad) mailing list
* just start triaging and learn from your mistakes

So: inexperienced Bug Squad members: please give it a go
And: experienced Bug Squad members: please continue to give a little
guidance (like giving feedback when a mistake was made) in the moments
you find time to do so

Regards,
Marja