[Mageia-dev] Art, Logo and Branding

Francesc Martinez francescmm at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 16:29:33 CEST 2010

2010/9/23 Tux99 <tux99-mga at uridium.org>

> On Thu, 23 Sep 2010, Peter Watson wrote:
>
> > Now we really need someone with marketing expertise to drive this
> > issue forward.
> >
> > Question is WHO?
>
> Umm, I'm sure Graham already said that he is offering himself.
>
> Graham, I'm not a marketing person, but I agree with almost everything
> you say, the only thing that I don't agree with is that the name should
> be up for debate.
>
> Too many practical things depend on the name so if whe change the name,
> everything else will be on hold until then.
>
> I do think Mageia is a good name, that is versatile enough for you to
> work with, it sounds exotic (I didn't know it was greek, it sounded
> spanish to me when i first read it) it's short and unique.
>
> So IMHO feel free to drive the marketing whichever way you like, but
> please don't ask for a name change.

+1 for you
and
+1 for Graham

IMHO, and it has been told before, is that the name is not a problem.

The better example we have is Apple. Stories tell us that the name was a
explicit decision because it was impossible to find a "good name". Althoug
this story was a lie, is a good example that demonstrate that a simply name
with a really good marketing is enought to grow the power of the mark.

I think that we can start from Mageia, like it evoques the magic world, we
can try to explain that it is that all of us are wanting: easy, eyecandy,
but powerfull and sturdy.

XescoMM.