[Mageia-dev] Identifying Target Markets

P. Christeas p_christ at hol.gr
Fri Oct 1 10:11:43 CEST 2010

On Friday 01 October 2010, David W. Hodgins wrote:

> In my opinion, Magiea's primary market should be linux developers,

Yes and no.  I am a developer, using Mandriva all these years and want Mageia
also to be a _developer friendly_ distribution. But not a /developer oriented/
like slackware or gentoo.

For that target I would make a wishlist:
 - Must be easy to keep in "production". That is, allow us to work every day
without major feature breakages. We want to develop our package, not be fixing
the Linux installation all of our time.
 - Have all latest libs and packages, *available*. Not force us to use them by
default, but have recent things at the repos, so that we can pick them to
develop against.
 - Have minimal obtrusion from the desktop, yet be powerful. Think of the
kde3,4 environment. We like the fact that we have a very rich text editor,
many commands and utilities. But, all these shouldn't take more than 5% of our
cpu, not take much memory. Because, our main work is *NOT* to search with
nepomuk, or waste our resources on plasmoids. Our work is to make the package
we are developing to compile, run, test etc.
 - Be easy to report bugs, work with the main team.

I think Mandriva already was a good choice for the above wishlist. Keep that,
please.

> I also think things like 3d, or "Desktop Effects" should be disabled by
> default, as things like animating a window minimizing make the system
> seem slow, even with good hardware.

Defaults is not an issue. A developer should be experienced enough to switch
some things off and customize his system. As long as there *is* a switch for
that (and not the "you must use GL animations for your menu rendering"
mentality).

--
Say NO to spam and viruses. Stop using Microsoft Windows!